The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism April 2010, 95(4). 1916-1923 published research on Intramyocellular muscle fat in Diabetes 2.
Pioglitazone (Actos) was given to 24 patients with diabetes 2 and treated for 4 months.
- Fat was measured with magnetic resonance
- Muscle biopsy was done to measure fat as well,
- Muscle biopsy done to check level of fat toxic products.
- Studies were done to show how insulin resistance improved with a decrease in fat inside the cells.
- Toxic products were measured and showed a decrease as the fat left the cells.
This indicated that Actos improved insulin resistance and took fat and fat toxicity metabolites out of the all the muscle cells of the body. All this indicated better control of glucose and quite likely a reduction in complications.